I calmed down and thought about my plight more. What I need is a plan.
I sent an email to Juki customer support detailing my Walking Foot Saga. Maybe they will come through for me if the dealer won’t. I’d like them to send me a new walking foot. I know, the one I have now is supposedly new. But I feel like the problem is with the foot and not the machine, since the machine otherwise works fine.
And the next step is going to be making a practice quilt sandwich and trying every combination of settings that I can to see if I can get the foot to sew correctly. Maybe there is a magical presser foot pressure that will allow the upper feed to work properly, but not cause grinding or excessive squeaking. Anyway, I can take some video while I’m doing that. Although, I don’t hold out much hope of getting a positive response to sending in video. If Scott is already telling me completely wrong information and saying that the walking foot is working normally, I doubt a video will convince him more than my words.
If neither of those things work, then I will consider buying a generic walking foot for the machine, and try to use that instead. If it works, great. If not, I can return it. If it gets to that point, and the new foot does not work, then perhaps my best bet would be to take the machine in for service in person. I’m not sure I want to drive all the way down to San Diego where the dealer is. Maybe I’ll take it to someone local who’s not a Juki dealer but would agree to look at a Juki machine. That would probably be expensive, but I guess it’s a last resort.
Or, I could just use the Janome for all walking-foot related sewing. I guess that’s another last resort.
So, I have a plan, I have options, and we’ll just see how far I have to go.
I want to scream!
Actually I think I did just scream.
The guy I talked to at Sewing Machines Plus yesterday, Mario, said he’d figure something out and call me today. The phone just rang and it was Scott, the guy I originally dealt with (and did NOT want to talk to again, because he is SO UNHELPFUL). He said, “Yeah, I got a message to call you?”
So I had to go over the whole thing again from start to finish. He is TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!! He said that the walking foot is fine, and my expectations are unreasonable for it. It’s supposed to squeak and make lots of noise. You can’t sew quickly with it. And it “isn’t going to feed the top fabric as fast as the bottom fabric.” He also said I shouldn’t be using it to attach binding, because that’s too thick for it. So I should just use a regular foot and not the walking foot for that.
I was so infuriated talking to him. He talks to me like I am STUPID. And he’s wrong. Everyone attaches binding with a walking foot. That’s what it’s FOR. The whole point of the foot is to feed the top fabric too, that’s why it’s AKA an “even-feed foot.”
He keeps saying I should just buy a different walking foot since there are others that are better than the one that comes with the machine. I explained that I talked to other Juki TL2010-q owners and none of them are experiencing what I am with the walking foot. He just stubbornly refuses to believe that there is anything wrong with it.
So after 15 minutes of wanting to reach through the phone and choke him, we left it at - I’m going to send him a video, and he’s going to pick out another walking foot for me to BUY. Presumably it will be around $100.
I don’t think I’m going to have time to make that video for a couple of days. He actually said the same thing last time - he was going to find a walking foot for me and call me back, but he never called back, and that’s when I gave up and stopped sewing.
This time I’m going to be more persistent.
He is probably writing a post about me right now on HIS blog. ”So today I had this crazy customer, she keeps calling and making up stories about how her walking foot doesn’t work, but really she is just stupid and doesn’t know anything about sewing…”
I got the binding attached to the front of my quilt today, just have to hand-sew it to the back now. I was struggling with that damn walking foot AGAIN. It was originally problematic because the hook on the foot rattled against the needle bar when sewing at anything other than a painfully slow speed. I found that reducing the presser foot pressure eliminated the rattling.
BUT, it then started squeaking. Aiieeee! So now the foot squeaks, and that is really at all speeds. Also, it’s not feeding the upper fabric like it’s supposed to (and that might be because I reduced the presser foot pressure?). When I sewed on the binding, I pinned it in place first. At the end, I had about 6” of extra binding, because it didn’t feed evenly and I had to keep re-adjusting it.
That damn walking foot makes me want to scream!
So today I called Sewing Machines Plus.com (where I got the machine) and told them I need some help. That walking foot has not worked right from Day 1, and I sent the machine back and got a new foot, and it still isn’t working right.
The tech I was working with before was not very helpful and I think he was just hoping I would go away. Well, I did go away! I didn’t sew anything for months because I was so frustrated. But now I’m sewing again and I’m not going to put up with this NON-WORKING walking foot. This is a $1000 sewing machine designed specifically for quilting, and the foot came with the machine. It should work.
I talked to a different tech today for a few minutes, and he said he’s going to look into solutions and call me back. I am hoping that I don’t have to deal with Scott again (the original tech) and that I don’t have to send the whole machine back again. I installed an LED light over the harp area and I don’t want to remove it a 2nd time (I already had to take it off the first time I sent the machine back).
But I know I’m not crazy and that the walking foot is supposed to work better than that. Fingers crossed that the new tech calls me back tomorrow with a good idea. :)